The Christian Reformed Church in North America has a part-time with benefits (20 hrs/wk) opening for a Race Relations Advocate in Eastern Canada. This person will provide leadership and coordination to the ministry of Race Relations in Eastern Canada, including the anti-racism initiative, leadership development, education, and advocacy regarding racial reconciliation and racial justice in the Christian Reformed Church in North America (CRCNA).
To apply, please complete an online application attaching a resume and cover letter by November 22, 2019.
Essential Duties include the following:
1. Encourage the use of educational and promotional materials for the CRCNA that is both culturally and racially inclusive
2. Assist in developing trainings and materials that raise awareness and give specific steps to help heal the effects of racism as requested
3. Serve as a facilitator for assigned workshops
4. Provide leadership and consultation to congregations and institutions in assigned region, in evaluating their goals and plans in ways that ensure the promotion of the CRCNA’s overarching diversity/unity goals
5. Identify, recruit, and facilitate the training/education of volunteers to promote and disseminate the various Race Relations materials throughout CRC congregations in assigned region.
6. Promote leadership development for young adults of color that will equip them to be participants and leaders in the mission of the church as requested
7. Create regional teams in assigned regions and provide ongoing training and coaching
8. Initiate strategic partnerships that lead to congregational workshops and/or coordinated initiative in race relations work
9. Establish collaboration, cooperation, and maintain effective relationships among communities of various ethnicities in the assigned region as requested
10. Develop curriculum to train facilitators and provide training; host retreats to encourage and grow commitment as requested
11. Other duties as assigned
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required.
1. Membership in a Christian church and agreement with the doctrine of the CRC signified by signing a covenant statement.
2. Personally motivated and a self-starter, with demonstrated ability to accomplish goals and produce results with little direct oversight/management
3. Demonstrated commitment to diversity and to racial reconciliation
4. Experience working with individuals from diverse backgrounds and cultures
5. Proven ability to plan and organize tasks and responsibilities including multitasking, setting priorities and deadlines, etc.
6. Demonstrated experience in the development and implementation of training curriculum
7. Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with co-workers and external contacts
8. Strong interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills
9. Intermediate proficiency in commonly used computer applications including virtual meeting software.
1. Bachelor’s degree required
2. At least four years of experience in community and race relations work
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
- Occasional travel will be required.